Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where are you going with this?

So...a colleague and avid follower/critic of my blog asked me something that somewhat jarred me. He asked "Where are you going with your blog? It's about food, and it's personal. I just don't get where it's going". At first I was somewhat taken aback...like I was being judged. I at first turned into: "Racquel mad. Racquel smash". But then after I put down the baseball bat I was about to take after this guy (Just kidding, S), I decided to just take it as it was intended: constructive feedback... And thinking that I really should try to hang on to all of my two readers. (Yes, Randall, I'm talking about you too).  I mean I am new to this blog thing, and many people have a wildly different takes on what makes a good blog.  So after some further pontification, I came to two conclusions on the "direction" of where this little brown girl is headed, and why you may, or may not want to further follow me.

I think that I am unsure where I am headed in life, to be honest. I am at a distinct sort of bend in the road and unsure as to what lies ahead. I am transitioning soon into the "adult world" of career, life-establishing and finally building a home with the love of my life. Why am I the only one in fumbling my way through life? But then I realize that I am not alone in my flailing about.... I mean, does anyone ever really know where they're going in life? Like really?  I feel that I am in a constant state of flux, it seems, and am trying to figure out my place in this world. I think that is part of the "all over-ness" of my writings to date.

He's into the reds; I'm into the whites.
Fitting? Absolutely!
Secondly, while it may sound silly, my relationships with people really do revolve around food. My boyfriend and I love trying new places and we bond over preparing meals together, and frequenting our favorite eateries. (BLUE FOX - more to come on that soon).  The spooning, happens to be about the love in my life, about of emotional intimacy from a complete wreck like myself. And forking....well, as suggestive as that sounds, it is about dining about town and how my experiences shape my outlook on life, help me process through certain barriers I face, or if rave about a restaurant that I just FRICKING love.  It only makes sense that my journey through life at present be also punctuated with my experiences of culinary fare.  Sometimes my blogs will be more personal than about my trip to x-restaurant, and others the inverse will be true. Food for me is a huge memory cuing mechanism. Certain experiences at a restaurant or at family/friend's house for dinner, will sometimes trigger certain memories, of which I will further meander about past experiences that are triggered, whether good or bad.

We all have a story to tell...Mine just happens to be through the lens of consumption of food. Perhaps it is a cultural thing, as very few family functions are contemplated without a well-constructed menu. This may be the making or breaking point of this blog...that is all about one and not the other. But from my culture, breaking bread with people is about sharing of one's self, and a bond that is formed by sharing a meal.  In this sense I am sticking to what I know, and attempting to convey my thoughts through this. Unsure if it will be a success or not, but gotta give it a rip. That is just how I roll.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am hanging on, Rock!

    I don't think that you need a reason...or a destination for your blog. The point is to communicate to the world your thoughts, feelings, struggles, successes, failures, triumphs, break-ups, connections, and yes, your breakfast so that you know you have someone to relate to. And your readers will be able to relate to you.

    Isn't there something cool about the fact that people are reading what you are saying, and actually taking it in? And I love your blog. Just as it is. Whether you think it could be random or not.

    I feel like I get to have a conversation with you. And I MISS that incredibly. It's been years, mon frere, years. I want to talk about soup. Soup de jour. I want to hear you screech "Ah-hew, ah-hew!" With your long ass arm in the air above your head.

    I miss quirky, crazy, random, loving, beautiful Racquel.
    So thank you for blogging, it's nice to read, and I would rather read this than status updates!

    Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally see it as breaking bread with the other spoon and others! And like it, too! Enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete